The Ultimate Winter Dessert
If you are looking for a warming dessert to enjoy on a cold winters night, this ones for you! There is something so comforting and so cosy about eating something warm like apple crumble for dessert.
We’ve hit Paleo Dessert Jackpot!
Today we are bringing our current favourite healthy dessert obsession. Its an Apple and Blueberry Paleo crumble! Yes that’s right: Crumble! Yes you can make a crumble out of wholesome, nutrient dense, real food! This recipe ticks ALL of the boxes, because:
- It’s totally yummy
- It TASTES like an ACTUAL crumble
- It is quick and easy, and you can whip it up in no time
- The topping is crispy but has that melt in your mouth crumbly goodness
As always, this crumble is grain free, sugar free, dairy free and gluten free. In fact, the ingredients are all nourishing and good for you! We reckon this crumble is so healthy it would even be 100% acceptable to eat it for breakfast!
How we made a crumble healthy
Instead of flour, sugar, butter and oats, our crumble is made using raw nuts and coconut products. We swapped the oats for nuts, the flour for coconut flour, added some shredded coconut for texture, then used coconut oil and honey to bind it all together. It’s easy-peasy to put together, you just whip it up in the food processor for a short amount of time and thats it: healthy, delicious crumbly goodness! The apple and blueberry layer is simply fruit, honey, chia seeds and essential oils. No fillers, no additives and no refined sugar!
This Paleo Apple and Blueberry Crumble full of healthy fats, fibre and protein! Not to mention the antioxidants from the blueberries and Vitamin C from the green apples. It is naturally sweetened by the fruit, but we have also added some extra sweetness using raw organic honey. You can absolutely leave this out and make it sweetener free, but we think a little bit of honey every now and then is totally fine.
Infused with Essential Oils
To take this Paleo Crumble to the next level we infused it with cinnamon and lemon essential oils! We have found whenever we add Essential Oils to food, they become mouth watering and bursting with flavour! They delight our tastebuds and senses!
It is important to note that not all Essential Oils are equal quality. If you are using them in your food you must only use oils that are certified food grade! doTERRA essential oils are beyond food grade and completely pure. They are the only essential oils we use, love and recommend.
If you would like to start creating some magic in the kitchen with these amazing essential oils, you can save 25% by buying at wholesale prices. Visit our Essential Oils page for more info.
Don’t just stop at the crumble: pair it with coconut milk ice cream for a heaven in a bowl experience! Just be warned, you may want to devour this in one sitting! Try not to eat this all at once!
- 3 granny smith apples (grated)
- 2 cups blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- 2 tbs coconut oil
- 1 tbs honey
- 1 tbs chia seeds
- 1-2 drops doTERRA cinnamon essential oil OR 1 tsp cinnamon spice
- 2 drops doTERRA lemon essential oil OR juice of 1 lemon
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 1 cup raw almonds
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1/3 cup coconut flour
- 2 tbs coconut oil
- 1 tbs honey
- Pre heat the oven to 180degrees celcius
- Line a baking dish with baking paper
- Mix all of the ingredients together in a bowl
- Set aside
- Place the cashews and almonds in the food processor and pulse on and off until coarsely chopped.
- Place the remainder of the ingredients in the food processor and blend. The consistency will be crumbly and slightly firm as the coconut oil and honey will bind all the ingredients together
- Place the fruit mixture in the baking dish. Use the back of a spoon or spatula to spread the mixture evenly
- Pour the crumble mixture over the fruit layer. Again, use the back of the spoon or a spatula to spread the crumble mixture evenly.
- Cover the crumble with alfoil (aluminium foil) and place into the oven for half an hour
- After half an hour, remove the alfoil
- Place the crumble back into the oven for a further 15 minutes or until golden brown
- Serve with additive free coconut milk ice cream for the ultimate crumble experience
- We love flavouring our food with essential oils, but you can use fresh lemon juice or cinnamon spice instead
- Swap the blueberries for raspberries or peaches - use whatever is in season!
- Omit the honey for a sweetener free dessert
- You can swap the honey for your sweetener of choice
- You can add extra honey/sweetener if you like but we think it is the perfect amount of sweetness!
Nourishing Your Essence – always!
Matt and Nat