The Roast With The Most
Sometimes being able to pick up a cooked Roast Chicken from the Supermarket is a super convenient when you’re low on time. But to us, nothing compares to this home cooked roast chicken! You get total control over what you put in and on the chicken, which means that you can pack so much flavour to it! Herbs, spices, citrus and oils all add up to a crazy delicious flavour combination.
It also means the chicken will only be full of goodness! Completely healthy, with absolutely no nasties. The ingredients are simple and fresh, and this is a great go to recipe to have on hand for those times when you don’t know what to cook. It takes almost no time to prepare, and you can pop it in the oven with some delicious veggies and sit down and relax!
You can of course experiment with your own herbs and spices. Get creative and use what you already have in your pantry!
- 1 organic chicken, approx. 1.5kgs
- 1/4 cup oil (olive, coconut or macadamia)
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 1/2 tsp dried thyme or 6 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 1 tsp garlic powder or 2 cloves fresh garlic crushed
- salt and pepper
- Add 1 tsp dried chilli flakes (if you want a spicy kick!)
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees and line a roasting dish with baking paper
- In a small bowl, combine the oil, lemon juice and garlic powder
- Using a basting brush, brush the oil mixture over the chicken skin
- Season with the thyme, salt and pepper
- Pop into the oven for 1 hour 10 minutes, or until the skin is golden brown
- Rest for 10 minutes before carving and serving serving
- TIP: You can serve this with a delicious Paleo Gravy. Just use the cooking juice from the chicken (or 1 cup chicken broth). Simmer over a low heat for 3 minutes and then gently stir in 1 tsp arrowroot powder and 1 tsp turmeric. Season with salt and pepper. Simple as that!
- Other spice options to consider are paprika, turmeric and cumin. Delish!
Nourishing Your Essence – always!
Matt and Nat